A reading blog where I will try to my utmost to avoid the mention of books.

Thursday, September 6, 2007

mention of books

I'm going to run ahead and do this in list form; here is a list of all the books sitting on my cedar chest. What color are books? Blue, but I'm a girl, so let's call them pink!

Marguerite Duras: L'Amant ...this was assigned reading for the last French class I audited, and I didn't quite finish it.
Marilynne Robinson: Gilead ...I loved Housekeeping, and my mother recommended this (she knows everything).
Nikolay Gogol: Dead Souls ...and Easter present from a couple years ago; very slow-going, but I've no idea why.
E. Nesbit: The Enchanted Castle ...I'd read it before, but I did have to get fifty pages in before I realized that. Delightful, anyway. E. Nesbit is peerless.
Philip Pullman: The Subtle Knife and The Amber Spyglass ...It was the end of the summer? These are probably going to France with me, for when I miss English.
Saul Bellow: The Adventures of Augie March ...also going to France with me.
Santiago Calatrava, Milwaukee Art Museum, Quadracci Pavilion (picture book) ...gift for my French host family. I tried to pick one with lots of pictures in case they don't know any English.
Edward Gorey: Amphigorey Again ...There is nothing to be said about Edward Gorey.
National Geographic Traveler: France ...I like pictures, too.
MTV France ...Yeah, I bought it. I have my reasons, ok?
Berlitz French phrase book & dictionary ...Andy made fun of me. But eight years of literary-track French didn't teach me the everyday words I'll need; at least that's my justification.

----------------
Now playing: Yo La Tengo - Here Comes My Baby
via FoxyTunes

1 comment:

Barhite said...

allo from europe gina!
owen and i are sad that youre not here, but we'll deal with it. we're in the airport waiting to go to venice, i hope your trip goes well, and whatnot. enjoy the rest of your summer, see you in france

-Andy